Articles

BARANGAY QUEZON, HALL OF FAME IN MOST ENVIRONMENT FRIENDLY BARANGAY SEARCH

Brgy. Quezon in San Carlos City, Negros Occidental was finally awarded the Hall of Fame by the City Environment Management Office in its search for Most Friendly Barangay, Year III last Oct. 17, 2016.

Said contest aimed at promoting in every barangay the right care and preservation of the environment thru proper waste disposal, reforestation and coastal resources management.

Other winners include Brgy. One in the 2nd place while Brgy. Buluangan made it to the 3rd place.

Winners received cash prizes including P250,000 for the first prize; P150,000 for the 2nd prize; and, P100,000 for the 3rd prize.

City Mayor Gerardo P. Valmayor, Jr. said that he extended said contest to the barangay level when it first started with the schools only called Search for Sustainable and Eco-Friendly School because he believed that the barangay plays an important role in the protection of the environment as well as the implementation of the city’s environmental programs.

Criteria for said contest include Pro-Environment Program consisting of Education/Advocacy Programs 25 percent; Greening Program 15 percent; Solid Waste Management Program 30 percent for a total of 70 percent; Special Programs including Implementation of Environmental Projects 10 percent; and Monitoring & Audit System for every household 10 percent for a total of 20 percent; and Documentation 10 percent which include success stories, newspaper clippings or Barangay Map Plan.